Saturday, November 24, 2012

Interview Preperation and Process #2

Preparations

How I approached people

As previously mentioned, I had placed in ad in the weekly bulletin for International Students. The second person to respond to this ad by both calling and emailing me. I was not able to respond immediately, but was able to talk with them on the phone later. We planned a time and place to meet over the phone.


When, where, and how I conducted and recorded the interview

I conducted my second interview on Wednesday October 24th, at 3 PM. It was originally scheduled for 2 PM, but there were transportation problems, and fortunately it was possible to start later. We meet in the Miller Center lobby and went to the back of the library. I thanked him for coming, then we sat down, and I set out a list of questions for both of us and explained what they were. After starting to talk, I asked for permission to record the the interview, then set my phone to record before placing it between on us on the table. I started by asking him about coming to St. Cloud State.


Who I interviewed

My second Interviewee was Sanjeev KC. He is a current student at St. Cloud State University. He came to the U.S. 5 years ago and started going to college in Baltimore, which is where his Uncle is living. After 4 and a half years, he came to St. Cloud State. This is his first semester at St. Cloud State. He lived in Kathmandu when he was in Nepal.


Interview Report

Think we were both kind of nervous and it took some time to get things to flow nicer. I kept asking questions and listened carefully. Once we got started I was able to learn some things about Nepal. As we discussed things, I think we both became a little more comfortable. As we went on, I occasionally asked questions to clarify things and build off of some of his answers. The answers I received from Sanjeev reinforced the answers I received in my first interview, while giving me some more information on some different ideas.


Describe anything that surprised you

I didn't really find much to be surprising this time. Most of the information given matched up with what I felt was somewhat surprising in the first interview, and was no longer new to me. It was clear he knew things about Nepal, but he did not seem to be the type of person who likes interviews, and anything that might be personally interesting to him did not seem to be touched on much. He did however, press the importance of how people think about others more in Nepal, and it would be important for people to know this.

No comments:

Post a Comment